Friendly Letter Form
A friendly letter consists of 5 parts.
1. The heading which includes your street address (line 1), the town or city, state and zip code (line 2) then the date (line 3).
2. The greeting which begins Dear_____________,
3. The body of the letter which contains your thoughts and ideas.
4. The closing which looks like this:
*Notice that the second word is always lower case. Don't forget your comma!
5. Lastly, the signature which is how you sign your name.
* Commas: There is a comma after your city or town. (Ridge, New York 11772)
There is a comma after the day of the month. (November 22, 2004)
There is a comma after the Greeting. (Dear Susan,)
There is a comma after the closing. (Your friend,)
*When writing in the body always indent when writing a paragraph. Start under the letter 'r' in the word Dear. When you get to the next line remember to write under the 'D' in the word Dear.
A Friendly Letter example:
104 Woodlot Road
Ridge, New York 11772
November 22, 2004
I was so happy when you sent me the birthday card for my birthday. It made everyone laugh because it was so funny. Sometimes when you send the card I bring it into school to show my teacher.
We are studying Indians in my classroom. There are so many things that I have learned. I can't wait to share them with you when you come for Thanksgiving. I even wrote you a cute poem.
Love your grand-daughter,
Now practice writing a friendly letter.